Saturday 11 February 2017

Leylin Vixen's Quick Draw Recap - Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets




Opening words

Another episode aired and we are again closer to the finale of the season. No matter what number episode it is I always think that with sorrow. Sooner than you think the season is over or we have a hellatus on us. Each week Supernatural is the one and only show I wait anxiously so it being away will have a void on those specific days. I had some time restraints before I could write this but hopefully Amy can put it up when she can from Vegas glamour.

Have fun Amy. Wish I was there too!


















Details

Title: Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets
Episode: 12.10
First aired: February 2, 2017
Director: Thomas J. Wright
Writer: Steve Yockey
Monster: Ishim
Location(s): Lebanon, Kansas, Orono, Maine (1901)



















Story

Angel Benjamin is playing Rampage (Awesome!) in an old-school arcade. Here is where we see Lily the first time. She fights Benjamin who calls for help from her squad. She is killed by Lily. Mary is out on her own when the show returns to the bunker. Kelly Kline is a no show on the news and so is the Nephilim. Dean and Cas is having an argument and Sam is the referee. Cas arrives and he is heading out on his own. The brothers will have none of that and they leave together.

The car ride was unpleasant as Cas and Dean continued the silent treatment between one another. Sam has the unfortunate luck to be the third wheel on the fight and play peacemaker. 

Cas opens up and finally explains that Benjamin wouldn't call for help if it wasn't urgent. They end up in the arcade and Benjamin's crime scene. One of the angel blades are found and it is not Benjamin's. Lily also finds Castiel with a spell. She is a woman scorned with revenge.

Cas heads out to meet Ishim and Mirabel that are not his greatest fans. Dean storms in and the two angels are not really fond of humans either. Ishim dispatches Mirabel to make sure they weren’t followed and you really could have dressed her in a red shirt on that moment. Ishim heads out but Mirabel has already been killed by Lily. They fight and Cas is just in time to save him. Lily doesn’t want to hurt people just the angels.



At Ishim’s safe house Cas asks why Lily is still alive and we get a flashback about Cas’s past. Ishim’s squadron went on a mission to kill an angel that had fell in love to a human and made a child. Akobel is sentenced and killed and it seemed that the child and mother were also. Female Cas looks very well like the female version of him. Ishim says that he let Lily live. I was surprised that we finally got angels that were, well dicks again. Also the death wings were welcomed addition. Also I am actually proud how far Cas has grown as angel. I just wished that would stretch to other angels.  

Ishim suspects Lily made a demonic deal and the brothers head out to tell her that Cas has changed. Ishim continues to annoy Cas, sorry or was it me that was annoyed about him? And Cas heals him. He seems weaker after that. Winchesters arrive at Lily’s hotel who has healed herself and ask her to lay off of Cas. She tells us her story and that her daughter was not Nephilim at all. She was human and Ishim killed her because he was obsessed about Lily. Sam stays to talk to Lily while Dean heads back to warn Cas. Lily warns Sam that Ishim will kill Dean. 

That is actually what Ishim will do after he can’t convince Cas that the daughter wasn’t human. He wants to kill Cas’s human weakness that is one of the Winchesters. Dean is ready though with an angel-banishing sigil but can’t use it because of course Cas would be blasted away too. Sam and Lily arrive just in time and fight ensues. Ishim eventually gets the upper hand but he is killed by Cas before he can kill Lily. 



Winchesters are on Cas side but Castiel shows his growth and apologises the death of her daughter and if she can’t forgive him he will be waiting. They head to the bunker and both Sam and Dean try to make Cas feel better. Dean also finally explains that he is not mad but worried about the cosmic consequences that might kill Cas or them. They also talk about the Nephilim and what to do.

Cas says: “Let’s drink, and hope we can find a better way.” I heartily agree.


















Characters

The cast was pretty huge again for this episode and everyone did their best to make it a great hour of entertainment. I really liked that we got some old school dick angels with Ishim and Mirabel. Benjamin and Akobel on the other hand are different and more closer to Castiel’s characteristics. I actually liked Benjamin and that “she” had a thing to arcade games. Castiel seemed to like her also.

The star of this episode with Castiel was Lily Sunder. I loved her Kill Bill look (Elle Driver) and she was almost a bad-ass angel on how she fought, looked and even acted. I think she would not like me saying that though. Also her past self was very different and should I say an innocent mother. She was curious and wise searching knowledge that did bite her in the behind though. Her daughter may had no lines but still she had a presence in the sorrowful story.  

Here is the full list of characters:

Lily Sunder
Ishim
Mirabel
Benjamin
Akobel
May

















Set design


All I can say is WOW! That opening with the arcade hall Megabyte Bar immediately sold this episode for me. I guess I am sentimental. And don’t try to guess my age because of that! Lass won’t tell. Rampage, Slot machines, Pool table, Pac-man which was probably a tribute as its creator died a short while ago or a coincidence, Space Invaders brought memories to my mind. The feel of that whole place was genuine and I would have liked to see more closely on everything there.

Total opposite of course was the diner, hotel and the trip to the old safe house church and to the past residence of Lily's. They were each unique on their own. I liked how cozy the diner looked and one of my favourite scenes of this episode happened when all of TFW crammed themselves to the same side of the cubicle. It was hilarious. The whole diner street and back alley were atmospheric. Supernatural knows how to do these the best. 


I don't know where the old abandoned church was. Looked like a meadow but the interior was pretty great with the glass windows (love them) and the old broken decor. It was very fitting to a fallen baddie angel. And if I am not in seventh heaven already we get Lily's home from 1901. Like with the arcade I am a sucker for antiques. I loved the house and even the creepy doll.

















Costume design

I really liked Lily's costumes the old and the new. The old reminding me of Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman and the new of Kill Bill's Elle Driver "Black Mamba". I think the director must be a fan of that character. Of course the periodical costumes of the angels and Lily and her daughter were great too. It was great to see female Cas that actually looks and dresses almost similarly so you could tell it was Castiel.




















Music

There was no music in this one that was titled. The horror! So, picking up something that fits the theme: Seven Devils by Florence & The Machine.

"Holy water cannot help you now
Thousand armies couldn't keep me out
I don't want your money
I don't want your crown
See I've come to burn your kingdom down

Holy water cannot help you now
See I've come to burn your kingdom down
And no rivers and no lakes can put the fire out
I'm gonna raise the stakes, I'm gonna smoke you out

Seven devils all around me!
Seven devils in my house!
See they were there when I woke up this morning
I'll be dead before the day is done”





Here is the short +/- rundown for Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets

+ Glimpse to Castiel's past
+ Dick angels
+ Death angel wings 
+ Team Free Will
+ Family
+ New canon
+ Compelling story
+ Benjamin
+ Fem!Cas is pretty same looking than the male
+ TFW sticking themselves on the same side of a small cubicle

- No music!
- No Mary!
- Ishim
- Killing a child? Grrrrrr!


-/+ Foreboding 





Trickster stamp, Lily Sunder 











That is all. See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment