Tuesday 20 January 2015

The Light on Spoilers, Heavy on Squee Preview of Supernatural 10x10 "The Hunter Games"




Woohoo! We're back! Hellatus is over and it's time for a new episode! So let's get to it shall we? IT'S PREVIEW TIME!


THEN

There was blood and bodies and Dean on his knees and Sammy on his knees and did I mention the blood and the bodies and Dean's face all frightened and confused and broken and Cas looking horrified and Sammy panicking and did I mention Dean's face and and and and WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!


*Actual selfie




NOW

I DON'T KNOW BUT I THINK IT'S GOING TO HURT!'


Okay, so we know the Mark of Cain has reared up and Dean is losing control. And Sam is damn well determined that he's going to save his brother, but he's also scared and beyond worried of what his brother is becoming. And Cas made a promise to Dean that he's not going to want to keep, and he's also trying to make amends to Jimmy's daughter, Claire. But it was Claire's supposed friend that Dean killed...along with a whole bunch of other bad guys...which is errr, awkward! And of course, Crowley is knee deep in evil mummy issues! SO MUCH STUFF!


Let's have a look at the synopsis!


“The Hunter Games” 

THE AFTERMATH — After the massacre at the ranch, Dean (Jensen Ackles), Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Castiel (Misha Collins) double their efforts to find a cure for the Mark of Cain but there is nothing in the lore that can help them.  Desperate, Castiel comes up with an idea that Sam deems the “single worst idea I’ve ever heard.”  Meanwhile, Rowena (guest star Ruth Connell) continues to plot against Crowley (Mark Sheppard), and Castiel tries to mend his relationship with Claire (guest star Kathryn Love Newton) who is plotting revenge against Dean for killing her friend. John Badham directed this episode written by Eugenie Ross-Leming & Brad Buckner (#1011). Original airdate 1/20/2015.

Woohoo John Badham is back! He last directed "First Born", and that ROCKED! Of course he's a massively seasoned director with loads of TV and a bunch of big 80's movies under his belt. It's so awesome to have someone like him working on our show.

Eugenie and Brad last wrote "Soul Survivor", directed by the particularly talented, Jensen Ackles! I used to be squirrelly about Eugenie and Brad's episodes, as there have been a couple of wobbly ones. But they've been right on the money since season 9, and I feel confident they'll nail this one too.



So, I'm pretty sure the "single worst idea" Sam's ever heard is sitting right in front of Sam and Dean! Which makes me think that Cas is wondering if the demon tablet has some information about the Mark of Cain and probably Cain himself, which may then give them some clues as to how to cure Dean. Makes sense, right? And one assumes the scribe of God would be able to tell them what's on the tablet...because the tablet is missing in action! BUT WILL HE?! AND WOULD WE TRUST HIM IF HE DID? BECAUSE REMEMBER....HE KILLED DEAN! Oh, sorry, I got all yelly...that happens when I think of Metatron!

Anyway before I combust in a he killed Dean fury, let's look at the promos! Remembering that these promos have clips from 10x10 and 10x11 (which don't forget, were shot in reverse order to how they appear in the schedule).



Like I said, these promos cover more than one episode. So it's not clear what is specifically what - episodically speaking (except for the Felicia stuff...that's next week)!

But one thing jumps out at me...

"We will fix it" "WE WILL FIX IT" "WE WILL FIX THIS"

*Actual selfie


We also got a particularly painful sneak peek. And for the first time ever...a sneak peek made me burst into tears!


OH.MY.GOD. Could Dean get any more sad and broken?! His face when he talks about a time when he was a hunter, not a stone cold killer. Seriously, I burst into tears. This Ackles fellow needs to stop doing this to me! Remind me to tell him! (Though last time I told him...he kinda laughed at my pain! Before reassuring me that it would be all okay...but I'm pretty sure he was still chuckling! Damn him and his awesomeness!)

On the upside...this clip clearly shows that neither Dean's brother nor his friend have any intention of giving up on him. They're not lying to him, or cajoling him....but they're not giving up on him. And they're letting him know that.

Dean has people who love him...and we know he now knows and accepts that. I just hope in his Mark of Cain sadness, he remembers.

Gah! I want the damn thing gone from his arm! Though I can't deny, I'm loving the MoC storyline and how it made a comeback and how that's now playing out! LOVE/HATE. SO TORN! SO SUPERNATURAL!



The other thing we got leading up to this episode, were countdowns starring our people, along with little tiny sneak peeks!















These mini sneak peeks are such a great tease! I really love them. 

Crowley's line is great! But you'd expect nothing less from him! And Metatron's line about the kinky chicks! He's got great sass that angel! I love him - when I'm not hating him and wanting to stab him in the brain! I wonder how long the Claire storyline will play out. I'm horrified for her, quite frankly. To have Cas there in her father's body - but it not being her father...that's just awful. Awful. I couldn't stand that. He needs to get her situated and leave her be. Because I think being there, no matter what his good intentions are, would simply be torture for Claire. Also, "dickwad". That's one of my all time favourite words. I use it all the time. I laughed out loud when Sam said dickwad!



So we most definitely get a little something from all the players this week.  Kicking off all the story lines for the back half of the season. I keep wondering how everyone is going to intersect...because they always do. I'm wondering if maybe Crowley realises his mum needs to go, and turns to his BFFs, Moose and Squirrel to help get rid of her. Maybe Rowena goes nuclear and the boys go after her. I mean, they know she's out there....they just don't know who she really is! That's going to blow their minds! And also, they're a bit preoccupied right now with Dean's tattoo regret... But once that's sorted (10x14 are we thinking?), it'll be on to the next thing! I have zero idea where Cas' storyline might be going! Anyone got any guesses? And of course, Cole is still out there and will be back in the picture in a few eps...I wonder where his storyline is going? I like Cole.

I love this sense of mystery, this not knowing what's coming next. I love that there's no obvious big bad that we all know is going to culminate in a big showdown in the last few episodes of the seaons (unless that turns out to be Rowenna). If find this season so intriguing. And it gives us the luxury of spending time with our characters. And seeing as I love each and every one of them, for me, that's time well spent.

I can not wait for this episode. I need my show back!

It's nearly here, guys! Let me know what you think!
-sweetondean

3 comments:

  1. Hmm....I'd forgotten what it was like to have my stomach in knots. I have no idea where any of this is going. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this rundown -- so excited for tonight. And those previews: Scruffy Jared!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete