Tuesday 24 December 2013

Spoilers Sweeties! What's to come in season 9 - The Carver talks!



This week saw the release of some juicy new tidbits about what's to come in the second half of season 9.

Entertainment Weekly caught up with Jeremy Carver and asked some of the burning questions that we've been asking amongst ourselves. Jeremy, in his usual spoiler-phobe way, tap dances around most of it, but he does give some intriguing answers.

Here's a look at the interview with some of my thinky/not-so-thinky thoughts!


The death of Kevin Tran hit us all where it hurts, in our Supernatural bits! I, for one, was a little traumatised by the image of Kevin's smouldering eyeballs! But is Kevin permadead or Supernaturaldead? Sounds like he's permadead... BOO!

JC - I know it’s going to hurt. And it’s with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to Kevin. With any luck, being Supernatural, there will be a way to perhaps see him sometime down the line, but it’s with a very heavy heart that we see Kevin be murdered.

Murdered sounds even more horrible! Though of course Kevin was totally murdered by Gadreel, but still...that sounds so harsh. We know that Supernatural is ingenious in how it can bring back beloved characters, so with a bit of luck, somehow, someday, we may see Kevin again...but it's not sounding very likely. I repeat...BOO!


What about Dean's decision to allow an angel inside his brother. We all know why he did it and we know it was from a place of love, but it's turned out to be one of the most catastrophic decisions Dean has ever made. So what does it all mean and how will Dean deal with the fallout?

JC  - ...He made these two crucial decisions that affected the boys’ mythology [stopping Sam closing the gates of Hell and the whole angel fiasco] and to watch particularly the second one turn into a heartbreaking failure is really what’s going to be driving Dean from here on out in the season, starting with he’s going to do whatever it takes to track down this angel and eject him from Sam. And that’s going to lead him to making alliances that he never thought he’d be forced to make. But he’ll do anything, basically, to try to right what he, I guess, considers one of the biggest mistakes he’s ever made.

Hmm alliances. Better the devil you know? I hope this means Crowley gets out of the dungeon! I've been starting to worry about him! He's been chained up for an awful long time! Yes, yes, I know he's a bastard, but he's an entertaining bastard! We know from the trailer for "Road Trip" that it looks like Dean does in fact make some kind of deal with Crowley, but if he'll do anything, could there be other deals to be made?


What about Dean's emotional state? It looked like something broke in him at the end of "Holy Terror" and Lord knows the guy is an expert at kicking himself. He blames himself for everything, even things that aren't entirely his fault. He wears guilt like most people wear clothes. So how is Dean going to cope with knowing that his actions not only led to his brother being absconded with by a rogue angel, but also to the death of Kevin?

JC -  ...Dean finds himself, I think, a bit unmoored by this with really no one but himself to blame. And as we know, Dean’s go-to is blaming himself anyway. And the fact that he’s right this time, hits him hard. And I think we’ll find him struggling with this for quite a few episodes. Now, I think things get serious, tense, sad and people get angry. But I don’t think in any shape or form that things get mired in sadness. It’s not like we’ve thrown a 600-pound weight on this. Things are kept moving and brisk. You can throw a pity party all you’d like but there’s always a monster around the corner waiting to be killed. The last thing we’re going to do is, whether he wants to or not, no one is going to get a chance to drown his sorrows.

Um. I don't want to spend episode upon episode watching Dean self flagellate again, so I'm glad to hear that things are not going to be mired in sadness. The guy made a terrible mistake, but it was just that, a mistake. He could not have foreseen where this was going to go. He was lost and panicked and made a bad move and I hope that at some point, he gives himself a break and if he can't I hope someone else does. I really, really hope a certain someone else does, because that would fill my heart with pride and joy. It's going to be ugly, I'm not kidding myself but if Dean starts on the scotch again, we're all in trouble!


Okay, the big one...Sammy. Sammy, can you hear me? Are we ever going to get Sam back? Of course we will, we all know we will, but how long do we have to wait?

JC - That’s a little tricky in that we have people on different paths. We’ve got Sam who’s being possessed and essentially taken over by Gadreel, an angel who’s done this horrible thing. And we’re going to reveal that Gadreel is more complex than we even may have presented him now….I think we’re going to see Gadreel put through his paces a bit more by Metatron in terms of going down a dark path.

I'm a little over the whole angel thing to be perfectly frank. I want Sam back and where I could be interested in finding out a little more about Gadreel and what his story is, not at the expense of Sam, thanks so much. I want that angel out of Sam pronto! I think more so now that I know the angel is not some benevolent force but some dude on the run with way too many connections to Lucifer and a bad rap that he's out to avenge, or fix, or whatever. That all sounds like bad juju! So cast him out of Sammy, please. I'm cool if he heads back into his original vessel if we need to get a better look at his motivations, if that's important to the scheme of things, but....GET OUT OF SAM YOU WINGED DICK. There, I said it.


Speaking of angels, Cass is all angelfied up again on someone else's mojo...so what does that mean to our re-trenchcoated friend.

JC-  Now that he’s an angel again, he’s going to have to find his place in this angelic battle, and it may not be the place he imagined for himself, which is going to confront him with some choices he perhaps never thought he’d have to make. So he’s right back in the fire, as it were.

I think Cass needs to be the one to angel blade Metatron and get those angels back upstairs where they belong. I'd be cool if that fell on him. I'd also be cool if Heaven got locked up forever even if that meant Cass got locked up to. I think that would be a great redemption arc for Cass - to have to make that decision, for the good of Heaven and Earth to send the angels home, even if that meant he'd have to give up any kind of earthly existence. A tragic, yet heroic climax to his story.


We've heard some rumours about returning characters and new characters, what does the Carver have to say about this?

JC - It’s going to be a combination of introducing some really really wonderful new characters into the mythology while also seeing a lot more of some of our favorite friends returning in the back half. For example, Dean’s journeys will lead him to an encounter with none other than Cain [guest star Tim Omundson] of Cain and Abel and that will open up a whole new branch of mythology for the show that is going to have significant impact on the rest of the season and throughout the series. That’s a very exciting new story vein we’re opening up. And we’re going to get an answer to where the heck Garth  has been this whole time and viewers will remember he sort of went AWOL when put in charge of guarding Kevin back in season 8 and we’ll answer this question, and I think it will be surprising. And there will be hugs. I think we can rest assured we’ll be seeing the return of The Ghostfacers. They will be making a return in what actually is a really fun and pretty emotional episode. And we’re going to do a heck of a lot of digging into the men of letter’s lore. We’re going to be going even deeper into that and introducing new characters and taking a deeper look at some men of letters characters we’ve even met before. That’s a storyline that continues to pay off for us in a fun and exciting new way. Then I can tell you we’re going to see some people we absolutely did not expect to see. And it’s all a result of the events that have happened here in the last season and a half. 

Weeee! This all sounds a bit less depressing! I'm totally looking forward to the Cain storyline and what this opens in the mythology. What will it show us about the Winchester brothers and how far back their destinies go? Michael and Lucifer. Cain and Abel. Dean and Sam. Blimey!

I must admit I've not really been wondering where our old buddy Garth has gone, but I guess it'll be good to find out what he's been up to. I am a tad intrigued by what JC said. Has he been in prison or something?!

"Ghostfacers" is one of my favourite episodes...mostly because I love the bleeped out swearing and I desperately want to see an uncensored version with Jensen and Jared letting the expletives fly. Hot! I hope they use the Ghostfacers characters well. I actually thought the best use of them was in "It's A Terrible Life".  I loved their handy ghost hunting hints! I'm interested to see how they pop up again and what the hell they've been up to. I don't think that TV career they were hoping for panned out.

And people we absolutely don't expect to see? Colour me wanting to know more, like NOW!


Last but in no way least...in fact, this is the thing that concerns me the most, how long are we going to have to suffer before the brothers are reunited? None of us enjoy them being split up, no matter how the show does it, or how much the Js say they dig playing it...we don't like it, so how long this time?

JC - We frankly go where the story takes us and the story is about two brothers who go hunting monsters in their Impala — no one is more aware of that than we are. So in the same way that some folks may have been complaining that Castiel was apart from the boys when he was human, I like to think he’s gone on a pretty interesting journey. So to cut right to it, the boys might be apart but they’re not apart that long. We’re invested in good story but we’re also not crazy.

What are we thinking here, 1-2 episodes? Sam re-Samified in 9.11 and 9.12 sees the guys back together dealing with a truck load of brotherly crap? Or maybe it's a few more that that? Lordy I hope not. 

What's the longest they've been apart episodically speaking (not talking Hell/Purgatory trips etc.) I mean, they've 'broken up' a few times and have spent parts of episodes apart, but somehow always end up together again. How often have they spent whole episodes apart because one did something the other one didn't like or whatever? They were estranged for "Free To Be You And Me". I think that was the only episode? Wait. Was that the only episode? Every other time they've found their way back together, even if begrudgingly, in the episode following the episode they fought in, or even by the end of the same episode. So, yes, I don't expect it to be long, because I do think the show knows that the brothers are better together and it's why the majority of us watch. Of course, how long they're separated emotionally, well that's another ball of wax. 


So there's a little bit from The Carver and some of my thoughts on what he said.

There's one thing that wasn't mentioned that I really want to know; will the Crowley shooting up blood thing mean anything/come to anything/be forgotten? I want to know what on earth that was all about. I'm still assuming he was jonesing for a fix of humanity and that might come into play with how he interacts with the Winchesters moving forward. Or not.

What do you think about these teasers? Have you got any theories/thoughts on what JC had to say? What "people we absolutely did not expect to see" would you like to see? Feel free to leave your ideas in the comments!

You can read the entire artcle here on ew.com

Stay strong! It's not long now and this accursed midseason hiatus will be over!

And in case you've forgotten, here's the trailer for 9.10, "Road Trip" the first episode back next year! NEXT YEAR! GAH!



Thanks for reading.
-sweetondean


4 comments:

  1. I am glad it won't be for long. It would be okay though if Jared was going to play Sam for part of it not Gadreel but that doesn't seem to be the case. They can be apart for a little bit in my opinion, as long as Sam is Sam not someone else possessing him. By the way at the beginning of season 5 they were apart for two episodes not one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited about how Season 9 is going. I too hope that Sam and Dean are reunited quickly. I hate to see my favorite brothers apart whether it be physically or emotionally, but especially emotionally (..sob...). As for the Cain storyline, the possibilities boggle the mind when you take into account the history of Gadreel and his possible relationship with Eve and her sons. My thoughts immediately jumped back to The Song Remains the Same when Michael says "it is a bloodline, stretching back to Cain and Able" in reference the Winchesters blood line. AAAHHH - can't wait for January 14!

    I am fairly confident that there will be a Season 10 but when might we get confirmation? February?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GHfan110 I'm like you, I can't wait to see how the Cain story reflects back on the brother's story. I love that their bloodline is something so epic, being as they're so epic!

      As for season 10. I'm completely confident. With the Js already signed and the ratings the way they are, there is no way it's not a goer. The question is more, will it be the last season? I believe, if it is, that's something we'll know upfront. I think they'll let us know when we're going into the last, so that the show can make it as epic as possible and so that we can mentally and emotionally prepare! Confirmation could be anywhere between February and May! But I would say we'll get early pickup notification so it will be February/March I would imagine.

      Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kristina, I don't think it will be long either, and like you would much prefer it to be Sam being Sam if we are going to have the brothers have some time apart.

    With season 5, they were together in Sympathy for the Devil, split at the very end of Good God, Y'all, were apart for the entirety of Free To Be You and Me and then reunited at the end of The End. So it was only 1 entire episode that they were apart.
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete