Sunday 21 August 2011

Kiss Your Cas Goodbye...

Well, didn't this little promo cause a wave of disent and disharmony across the fandom, when it screened during the re-run of Mommy Dearest yesterday. Me personally, I think it's a rockin' promo. I thought the CW did an awesome job for a change, I thought wow great line....kiss your Cas goodbye! I thought, bring it on, I can't wait! What I didn't think was, oh no, they're gonna kill Cas, the show is ruined, it's over. I didn't think that because, I think that's horseshit. Maybe I should just give you a second to watch the promo.....


Well? Good huh? It does leave me with a little sick feeling in my stomach though....not because of Cas and the fact that he's obviously in a high degree of peril here, not because of the change in his character, which I prefer to call plot development, but because I saw the chatter on twitter and tumblr and it did two things; it made me a bit pissy and it made me groan. Pissy because, as someone who's been a fan of Supernatural since the first moment it aired on TV back in 2005, I don't believe Castiel, no matter how marvellous he is, is the centre of this show. Groan because I thought, geeze, if they kill him what the hell is the fallout going to be? I'm going to have to stay offline for a couple of weeks for fear of taking out a minion or two!

Now before everyone gets all angry with me, I understand the allure of Cas and of Misha. Misha in particular. I've met him twice and when I go to Chicago Con in October, he's the only person outside of the Js I've booked photos with. I find him not only unbelievably pretty, but inspirational and downright naughty and as an Aussie, I love someone with a bit of cheek. It's just, well, I get super offended when it's implied that the show sucks without him. Like SUPER OFFENDED. Because you know what, it doesn't and it never will, because the show is more than that. This basically, is my only gripe, that those kind of things are said, "oh without Misha the show is boring" "oh without Castiel there is no Supernatural." Good God, my blood is starting to bubble under my skin just typing that. It's just bollocks, as our friend Crowley would say.

I never expect this fandom to be moderate, I know we all get our knickers in a twist about the smallest of things, but this attitude offends not only the fans who dearly love the show for all it's parts, but also the people who spend long hours making it, including, but not in isolation, the Js. Let's face it, it's their show. They're the stars. It's the story of the Winchester brothers and their journey. How must it feel to have people saying the show might as well just go off the air without that one character. It's hurtful, disrespectful and unappreciative.

What do I want in regards to Castiel? I want the best possible story for him and for Supernatural and if that means he goes out with a bang, then he goes out with a bang and I'll be there, watching, to see how that pans out. Sure, if he goes I want him to go out a hero. I want him redeemed. I want Dean and him to have some sort of relationship restored. I want all those things like everyone else. I have a lot of love for Cas. But if after that, Castiel is gone, I will be cool with it, because if it's handled well, if it's the best thing for the story, then I'm behind it. Because this is a TV show, with a story to tell and as much as we feel we are a part of it, I would hate for the show to fall into fan service. It's better than that. If the story is better served without a beloved character, if that character has had his arc, then so be it. I want Supernatural to be daring. I want it to push my buttons. It always has and I hope it always does.

I'm not a great believer that the status quo is always the best way. Sometimes we've got to take risks. Throw it all to the wind and see where everything falls. Change is part of life. No point fearing it. People change. Characters change. Shows change. And yes, our allegiances change. I just hope that if the creative team behind Supernatural have decided that the Angel storyline has run its course and there's no more room in the Winchester's journey for the character of Castiel, that those that are particular fans of him are respectful. That they give the show a go regardless and even if they don't, that they understand those of us that are cool with, if heartbroken by, this change. I understand it's going to be very painful for some and I promise to be respectful in return. I get it. I think he's awesome too. But if the show is being trashed on this one point, without even being given a fair go, then my mother lion will rise up and I will protect what I believe in ferociously. Justsayin...

You know, the great thing about TV is that if you don't like it you can shut if off, unlike some people. If you don't like it, I'd rather you did just shut if off than spoil the experience for those of us who still have a vested interest.  Like I always say, most of us watched the show before Cas and I know I will have no problem watching it beyond Cas....that is assuming they kill him off....and surely if there's one thing we've learnt from Supernatural, you can never assume anything...right?

1 comment:

  1. Woah.. Amy! Good stuff! Supernatural never disappoints, because they have a great team of writers who have lots of awesome ideas! It's a show about the brothers, with their friends supporting them. I can't wait to watch more great things from the writers and the cast.

    I suppose everyone has different opinions about the shows. But as long as we know why we watch it.. who cares.. At the end of the day, we got one more season and hopefully more to come.

    xoxo

    -Tiny-

    ReplyDelete